A meeting with the meter-long tentacles of a jellyfish can lead to fiery red swellings and muscle cramps and drop into the water every beach holiday.
But urine is not the solution.
Jellyfish tentacles are covered with thousands of nettle cells that shoot needles with a paralyzing nerve poison through the skin.
The needles are securely attached with barbs and can continue to pump poison into the cells of the body long after the sting. According to science, urine only makes it worse.© SPL
In 2017, researchers from the University of Hawaii in Manoa and NUI Galway in Ireland investigated the effect of rinsing with seawater, vinegar and urine respectively on the effect that the poison has on the body's oxygen-transporting red blood cells, called hemolysis.
In particular, they discovered two things that can alleviate the painful sting of a poisonous jellyfish.
You have to do this
A dash of vinegar and a warm jug can alleviate the pain of the jellyfish needles.
Wash the wound with vinegar
Rinse the wound with vinegar to remove the nettle cells and eliminate the destructive effect of the poison on the corpuscles.
Use a warm jug
Place a warm compress of approximately 45 ° C on the wound and leave it for about 40 minutes. The heat counteracts the effect of the paralyzing nerve poison.
Urine turned out to be the worst.
Peeing on the wound led to three times as much hemolysis as not flushing, and only made the burn worse.
For comparison: sea water resulted in 1.5 times as much hemolysis, while the vinegar significantly reduced hemolysis.
Therefore, whatever people claim, do not pee on the sore area to fight the pinch of the nerve poison.
You shouldn't do this
Urine is not working
Do not pee on the wound. Urine enhances the action of the poison.
Do not scratch
Do not scratch, because the nettle cells will secrete more poison.
Do not touch
Also do not scrape the wound with a debit card or something; even then poison is released.
Do not use ice
Do not use ice; then the blood circulation increases and the poison spreads faster.